The Seven Laws of Magic are strict rules set up by the White Council to govern the use of magic. All members of the White Council are expected to abide by these laws, and the White Council also seeks to enforce them among other human practitioners of magic. The penalty for any violation of these laws varies. Traditionally, the penalty was often death, but this has become a difficult standard to maintain, particularly due to pressure from the Grand Coven, who oppose such strict rules about magic. As a result, violators of the rules are sometimes simply expelled from the order, and more than once they have been delivered to the Grand Coven, in hopes that where they have failed as wizards, such practitioners may succeed at becoming witches.
The Seven Laws of Magic are as follows:
"Thou Shalt Not Kill" Edit
- It is forbidden to kill human beings with magic, except in clear cases of necessary self-defense.
"Thou Shalt Not Transform Others" Edit
- It is forbidden to transform human beings with magic, such as turning a human into a frog.
"Thou Shalt Not Invade the Mind of Another" Edit
- It is forbidden to use mental powers to violate the thoughts of any human against their will, whether to read their mind or to attempt to alter it in any way.
"Thou Shalt Not Enthrall Another" Edit
- It is forbidden to dominate the will of any human being, which is regarded an even worse violation than invading their thoughts in the first place.
"Thou Shalt Not Reach Beyond the Borders of Life" Edit
- It is forbidden to research or practice necromancy in any form. Speaking with ghosts is allowed, but conjuring spirits from the beyond or raising any kind of undead is absolutely not allowed.
"Thou Shalt Not Swim Against the Currents of Time" Edit
- It is forbidden to practice any form of time travel or otherwise perform any magics that might alter the flow of time, potentially creating dangerous temporal paradoxes.
"Thou Shalt Not Open the Outer Gates" Edit
- It is forbidden to take any action that would compromise the borders of reality, thus risking allowing a flood of Outsiders into the world.
Logs featuring Seven Laws of Magic: